Each remarkable piece of Royal Treasure in the Ajuda National Palace bears witness to the country’s history as a kingdom, which was built up over almost eight centuries.
At last, the Museum is now home to a permanent display of a large portion of the riches that were once the property of Portugal’s Royal Household. Some of the items belonged to the Crown and others came from the private collections of the various members of the royal family.
The visit, which covers 11 separate sections and interactive exhibits, begins with Gold and diamonds of Brazil, followed by Coins and Medals of the Crown. The third section houses Jewellery from the Palace collection. The fourth section comprises Honorific Orders and this is followed by Royal Insignias - Ritual Objects of the Monarchy.
Crown Silverware is on display in the sixth section. The seventh and eighth sections contain Private Collections and Diplomatic Gifts. Works of art from the Royal Chapel are exhibited in the ninth section. The penultimate section boasts a unique example of truly sumptuous eighteenth-century tableware: the German Service. The last stop on the journey through this unique collection is the Treasure Trips section.
In addition to the exhibition, the museum has a cafeteria and lounge area. There is also a themed shop, where visitors are invited to take away a souvenir of “our” Royal Treasure.
The exhibition will have 11 sections spread over 3 floors:
- GOLD AND DIAMONDS FROM BRAZIL
- COINS AND MEDALS OF THE CROWN
- JOBS / JEWELS
- ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD AND ORDERS OF MERIT
- ROYAL INSIGNIA (Ritual objects of the monarchy)
- ROYAL INSIGNIA (Ritual Objects of the Monarchy)
- THE CROWN'S SILVER
- PRIVATE COLLECTIONS
- DIPLOMATIC GIFTS
- ROYAL CHAPEL
- THE GERMAIN SILVER TABLEWARE
- THE GERMAIN SILVER TABLE SERVICE
- THE TREASURE'S TRAVELS
Due to the inherent value of the pieces on display, a significant number of security systems will be designed:
- People will pass through a metal detector gantry and their small bags will pass through an X-ray system
- In case of larger bags, these should be placed in lockers, which will be available at the entrance on the shop side.
- Texts and subtitles will be in Portuguese and English
May 1st to September 30th: 10H -19H
October 1st to April 30th: 10H -18H
* Last entry one hour prior to closing time!!
* Group or Students Group Reservations please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Child: 0-6years - free!
Palácio da Ajuda, Calçada da Ajuda
Tel: 211 163 425
How to get:
Bus : 729, 742, 760
Facilities: Elevator, Snack Bar, Gift Shop, easy access for people with reduced mobility